Monday, June 8, 2009

Sisters

Since the wedding was at 11:30 am, we were finished with the reception by 2:30 pm. The rest of the afternoon we spent visiting with my mom, sisters and nephews. We went back to the hotel and played in the pool. Really, I think this is my children's favorite part of any trip. I enjoyed it more this time than I normally do. It was so nice to visit with my family. My sisters, mom and I have had a close relationship. Now I live here in Colorado, Wendy lives in Arizona, and Mom and Christine live in New Mexico. This makes the connectedness, the feeling that we are part of each other less strong. But I felt the memory of these being my people, of knowing the ebb and flow of conversations, practically knowing what the others are thinking. I remember feeling that level of belonging. I think that is something I really struggle with right now in my life. I don't feel that sense of belonging, that sense of connection, anywhere outside my little family of my husband and children.

Getting back to the story, Christine and I took the kids to the pool while Mom and Wendy went to the store to get the fixings for a birthday party for John, who turned 11 on Sunday. The kids had fun and I think the water helped Christine to relax (the MS gets to her when she is tired or stressed). Then we went out for a nice dinner. After dinner, we enjoyed the birthday party. Mom had gifts for all the kids, which they all loved. She got Joseph a Neopet of a lion (or something like that). Well, it scared Joseph. He took a while to warm up to it, and then he didn't want to let go of his 'dog'.

The next morning, we had an uneventful drive home, arriving in time to mow the lawn, do laundry, and get ready for Jack to go to California on Monday!

1 comment:

taradon said...

Thanks for inviting me to view your blog! Very cute. And I love the little quotes from your kids! I laughed out loud at a couple. =)