Sunday, May 31, 2009

What's Your Problem?

A couple weeks ago I was at the grocery store with the girls. Rebecca was having a hard time, talking back and misbehaving. As we were leaving the store, I pulled her aside and asked her, "What's your problem today?" Here immediate response was, "You!" This was a little shocking to me. But it has really stuck with me. How often are the problems I am having with my children's behavior really of my own doing? Are they displaying developmentally appropriate behavior that I am overreacting to? Am I reacting to what they are doing, rather than taking the time to really think about how I can help teach them appropriate behavior? I remember listening to a talk given by a family therapist where he said that most of the disagreements at the dinner table are caused by the parents. How many times do I say, "Sit down, don't use your fingers, quit playing, just eat, etc." during dinner? How can I change my response to teach rather than just nitpick?

Yesterday I saw a note Rebecca had written on the dry erase board. It said, "No one likes me. Everyone hates me. Read now." What a sad thing to read. I hurt that she feels this way. I know this is pretty typical behavior-- I got in trouble so I am not loved. But am I spending at least as much time reinforcing her good behavior and telling her how much I love her as I am correcting and criticizing? Again, yesterday afternoon we were at the grocery store. Joseph went to sleep as we were driving there. I asked Rebecca to push the cart so I could carry Joseph and get the items we needed off the shelves. As we were shopping, I really paid attention to how I interacted with Rebecca. I noticed that even as I was so grateful for her help, I heard myself asking her not to play with the cart, be careful not to run into people or displays, wait for me-- you get the picture. When I noticed what I was doing, I stopped and reminded myself that she was doing great. I had done many of the same things as a child that she was doing now. And the store was pretty empty, so it didn't matter if we were going down the middle of the aisle.

Rebecca, I want you to know I do love you. You are a wonderful daughter. I appreciate how obedient you are. You are amazingly helpful. You are willing to do anything I ask. You are kind to your brother and sister. You are developing a great faith in our Heavenly Father. You are intelligent. You are a good friend. I would do anything for you. I would sacrifice anything for you. You are a beautiful daughter of God, and I am so grateful to be entrusted with your care. I will try to be better at commenting on the good you do, and be more sensitive to correcting you. Please forgive your mother for making mistakes and being human, too.

1 comment:

Mistaken said...

I think that is so common to find ourselves more critical than not. It's good that you notice that now and not many years later when your daughter is in therapy, ha. It's good to reflect on these things. I do those things a lot and realize that my children's behavior is a direct result of that. Thanks for the reminder!