Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A First

Rebecca has been in school for two years now. I am interested in what she is doing-- she spent 5 years of her life around me 24/7, and now she spends more of her waking hours at school than she does with me! So nearly every day after school I ask what she learned, did, who she played with, etc. Now I am sure this is a typical thing for a mother to do. However, you would think that I were asking her to walk on hot coals or willingly submit to a tonsillectomy! I frequently receive as a response rolled eyes, huffy sighs, or mouthy responses.

You can imagine my surprise when tonight as I am making dinner, Rebecca comes up to me and says, "Guess what I did in school today!" and proceeds to tell me about the math test she took. She even told me details about what types of questions were asked (some machine something, math triangles-- whatever happened to addition and subtraction!) and how long it was. Then a few minutes later she told me, "Oh, we had a reading test, too. We read a book about how animals help people and had to answer questions." Then she told me all about how horses, dogs and monkeys can help people. Amazing. It was wonderful to have her willingly respond to my interest in her day at school! I hope to have many such conversations in the future.

No comments: