Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Well Child?

This morning I took Joseph in for his 2-year Well Child Check-up. I planned on this being a quick yes-he's-got-allergies trip. Here is how it really went.

The nurse took us back to the exam room, had me undress him, and started her exam. She used an ear thermometer to take his temperature. When she pulled on his ear to take the reading, he started screaming and it took me several minutes to get him calmed down. Not a good sign. His weight was up to 22 1/2 pounds (almost on the chart!) and his length was 33 1/2 inches, right on the 25th percentile. Then the doctor came in. We visited for a few minutes, answering the standard questions. Then she looked in his ears. Well, his tubes have fallen out-- recently enough that they are still stuck in the wax in the ear canal. And he already has an ear infection in his left ear. Not good news. Oh, and he has allergies. Start him on Zyrtec. Then we waited 15 minutes for the nurse to come back with his immunization. Finally I went and found someone to give it to him.

So we got to spend half an hour waiting for the prescription for the ear infection to get filled, always a good time with three kids who have already been waiting at the doctor's office. Miriam was very helpful in finding the Zyrtec. Unfortunately the kid's stuff is in a glass bottle. She felt horrible for breaking it and getting it all over her clothes.

On the drive home, I felt like crying. I had just had a very stressful morning. I decided that my emotions fell into four categories. Relieved: At least I know why he's been so fussy and upset about everything. I was anticipating being told to see if it was from the allergies... Guilty: This poor baby has been walking around with an ear infection for over a week, based upon how long he has been fussy. I should have trusted my instincts that something was wrong instead of relying on the doctor's word that I would find the ear tubes when they fell out and would therefore know when they had come out. I assumed that since there was no pus coming from his ears, he couldn't have an ear infection. Frustrated: What happened to my miracle surgery? Everyone I had talked to whose kid had tubes put in, the child never had another ear infection. It is supposed to work that way nearly all the time. Why is he the one who gets another ear infection so quickly? Grateful: I am grateful to live in a time when there is something to be done about this problem. Had we lived 100 years ago, my sweet Joseph would be deaf by now! I am trying to have the feelings of relief and gratitude outweigh the guilt and frustration. I'll keep working.

2 comments:

Tera said...

Has Joseph been tested for food allergies? Sometimes if a child has a diary allergy it can cause ear infections too? Just a though.

Shelly said...

You poor thing! Of course you're frustrated and concerned! Poor Joseph, what a little trooper he's been through all of this! I hope this round of antibiotics will clear things up for good! Shell