Monday, September 13, 2010

Water Fun


One afternoon I came into the kitchen and found Joseph standing on the stool, pouring water from a cup left on the counter into another one that he had gotten out of the drawer.  He was having great fun, but unfortunately not all the water made it into the new cup.  I told him he needed to clean up the mess and got him a towel.  He, very willingly, used the towel to clean up the water each time he spilled some.  I decided that this wasn't a bad activity but that perhaps we could find a better place for his experimentation, so I had him go outside and enjoy his water-pouring activities.  (He insisted on putting on his swimming suit, too!)

When the girls saw what Joseph was doing, they wanted to join the fun.  I told them they could play with him, but I was making dinner, so we weren't getting out the hose or putting on swim suits.  Oh, they only wanted to use some cups like Joseph!  Well, using the hose to fill the cups, by the time dinner was ready, all three kids were totally soaked.  (I wish I would have gotten another picture!)  It makes me happy that the kids play so well together!

1 comment:

Tera said...

My kids have all loved standing at the kitchen sink and playing in the water. I lay a towel on the floor under the chair and put an apron on them to help catch some of the water. I turn a slow drip on the faucet and give them cups and spoons. I swear it can entertain a toddler for over an hour. Best part is, even if the floor gets a little wet, it's only water right! When they are done playing, the floor is a little cleaner! I have even sat Ethan on the floor with a huge towel, a cookie sheet, and two bowls on the cookie sheet. Put water in one of the bowls and he's entertained spooning the water back and forth so I can make dinner! Magic! Anything you can do right now to keep the kids busy and happy is worth it I'm sure!